Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Paradigm shift in tamil cinema

I actually decided to write about something else but finally ended up writing this cos of various reasons...

Am a real movie buff and an avid fan of Selvaraghavan... So I watched his latest venture 'Ayirathil Oruvan', the very first day... I liked the movie like anything... Especially the second half of the movie... I should say, he has framed a new paradigm for tamil cinema... None has given such a well crafted movie of this genre in tamil industry...




Mostly the movies that revolves around history will only concentrate on past factual events... Or some movies of treasure hunt genre will purely be fictitious... But this is a perfect mixture of history and fiction, which makes it first of it's kind in tamil film industry...

One can see Selva's hard work in collecting all the facts and associating it with modern science... wow... He should be really proud of his work... Especially the second half, which totally portrays a new tone compared to the first half... The sequences, the taking... I should say, it's simply amazing to see such kind of movies in tamil rather than the typical masala type movies... Also the music is really soothing,... My favorite is 'Celebration of life' which is just enchanting...

But this movie is receiving mixed reviews.... While watching the second half, most of the guys in the theater were really pissed off and they actually wanted to leave the hall asap...I dunno why... I was totally into the movie surprised at the taking of the movie... But most of the guys didn't like it at all... I didn't really want to hear those and enjoyed the movie till the end...

Later I tried to get others opinion as I really wanted to know the reason for their acts... From their reviews I noticed that there are few flaws in the movie... Especially the difference in tone... the first half is entirely different from the second half... Everyone who watched the first half with that zeal will definitely expect the second half to have something like a 'Time travel' or 'A splendid flash back' or 'Reincarnation stories'... But in contrast Selva gave a new tone to the movie that completely ignores the tone of first half... Though he gave it as a surprise element, most of the audiences are not able to digest the complete shift in tone... Also the way he portrayed few sequences in climax... Hmmmm... He should have given a second thought about it...

When I tried to explain these things to few persons, they were not accepting it... Instead they thought I was just trying to be different by praising this movie... Ha ha ha... why should I??? Is Selva paying me to do this??? But few guys , I should say like minded guys... They really enjoyed the movie the same way I enjoyed it... So am not being different... Thank god... And when we discussed few things, we ended up in praising the same scenes that I enjoyed the most...

To wind up, am not saying this is a movie that will be liked by everyone... It's only for miniscule audience... But one can definitely watch it for the Selva's hard work...

No comments:

Post a Comment