Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rowthiram Pazhagu

Have you decided your next topic?
Hmmm... Still thinking.

Why?
In contrast to the first post i feel some difficulty in this.

What's that?
The first one was just a 'Yes/No' question. 

So?
But this question has multiple answers. Actually the answers are legion.

Oh fine dude... Just decide something...
Still thinking...

May be this???
Nope...

May be that???
No way... K fine... I've decided it.... Stop messing around....

I told that sometimes I feel astounded at certain things... This is one of em... To be precise this is just a snippet of a poem... 


"ROWTHIRAM PAZHAGU"

Most of us might have heard it somewhere. This is nothing but a snippet from Mahakavi Bharathiyar's "Puthiya Aathichudi". 

A few days back I was listening to the song "Acham thavir" from Anjathe. And suddenly there was a spark in my mind when I heard the line "Rowthiram Pazhagu".... Then i started analysing this....

Anger.... More often than not, one of the worst emotions and everybody hates that... Then my mind started rolling few years back...
During my school days my mom used to (and still) recite(s) that her elder son (yeah that's me) is a calmmmmmmmmm and quiet guy who seldom gets angry and my brother is really splenetic... 

So in general everybody likes a calm guy... But why did such a pioneer, a prodigy and a great intellect like Mahakavi ask us to practice or learn to be angry... That perplexed me a lot... So I came to a conclusion that am not getting the actual meaning that was connoted...

I tried to analyse this further.... After many hours of cerebration I got the real meaning.. Or at the least I just got a convincing meaning... 

Many of us doesn't know that each and every human emotion is a source of energy. We'll do extraordinary and unusual things whenever we are drenched in any of the emotions...

E.g :  Your friends may be pestering you for a treat for no good reason. But if a gal (whom you are ogling for a very long time) just gives a glimpse and if the same friend asks you for a treat at that time... That's it.. Like Alaipayuthey madhavan... "Ava enna pathutta!!!! Enna pathu sirichutta!!!!!!! Heyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!"..... 
The answer is none other than "Yes"...
This is nothing but a mere imbecility.... 
Yeah and i don't have better example :-(

So whenever we are happy, sad, angry, etc enormous amount of energy flows throw our body with the help of adrenalin and make us to do wonders... 

Mahakavi got this instinct well before the cyber age and crafted a very beautiful poem... 

So when we are happy, we'll try to make others happy. When we are sad, we try to share our melancholy with our friends,family to half the sadness...

But what do we do if we get angry??? Fine... Let me rephrase the question. What will I do if am angry?
Either I will let my anger go by reciprocating it right away with much more rage...
Or I will keep it inside me and worry about it often...

Am doing a very big mistake here.... Both the approaches are fallacious... In the first one am just letting my whole energy to drain at some trivial things... In the second approach am not at all using the energy... 

So what should i do now?
Lemme think... When will you get angry? 
When something/somebody insults me, during some failures, when something/somebody acts against my wish....
Lemme do this...
Whenever such things happen, do not let your energy drain into some petty things... Whenever someone insults you , just keep it inside... Experience it, Feel it, suffer it and take right steps to win it... To endure this we need abundant energy and that will come from our anger.... This is what they call as "Controlled Anger". 

And this is what Mahakavi wants us to understand.... Turning a negative point/weakness to 100% positive point...

And finally i got the gist of the snippet....

"Controlled anger is the best source of energy and great success"...


And I was thinking about all these sitting in front of my computer doing nothing and oh god am in my office... I just made sure that none is looking at me... Thank god, else everyone will think that am such a schmuck... 
I didn't even know how much time i spent on this but i never regretted for the lost time as I got an useful tip... 

Hollooooooooooo and i just finished my second post.....







17 comments:

  1. i'm really admiring your way of approching and it was very useful to me ........me too in same doubt after hearing the song acham thavir from anjathey.....i took only simple steps like asking others ..not like you thank thank u very much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bharathi is an great saint, who lived with and gave multi value treasure and we should see the real meaning of it. You did it and my hats off...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. @tamil
    Actually i should thank you for reading my post with utmost patience... :-)
    And thanks for the comments...

    @Ann
    None can abnegate Mahakavi's work... He's the best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really funny how everyone tries to tinker Bharathi's thoughts into sounding "politically correct" to suit the present times. That is why phrases like 'controlled aggression' in the context of his poems have emerged. Political correctness is highly variable and keeps changing quite randomly. Bharathi's proclamation "rowthiram pazhagu" is not to instill controlled aggression but was an attempt at that time to inspire the youth and elders alike to stand up for just causes and fight against atrocities. If he really tried to be polite and politically correct, he wouldn't have said "thani manidhanukku unavillai endral jagathinai azhithiduvom" By nature, Bharathi himself was a proud and angry young man who did not offer any excuses or try to be modest and that is what is reflected in all his poems. So, when the truth is such, please stop offering your personal excuses for the justified brazenness that one associates with the mahakavi... Bharathi does not need mortal souls like ourselves to offer excuses for his irrepressible pride

    ReplyDelete
  5. I end up into this page when I was searching meaning for "ROWTHIRAM PAZHAGU" after listening to the same song. I agree your view and explanation. Controlled anger should become a necessary part for every human in this modern age.
    I'm going to put this into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe rowthiram means righteous indignation i.e. anger against unrighteousness in the world and in ourselves. online resources gave the same meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and they really should put more of the Mahakavi's poems to tunes. 'inspiring' would be an understatement to describe them

    ReplyDelete
  8. @pranav: i hav worried most of the time tat i'm just wastng time in sittng nd thinkng about the scholars... Bt nw atlest i got the fact, most of my brothrs r givng me hand...:)
    and i like the way u generelize the mahakavi in some right way....
    But stil i completely go with 'sundar's words oly...
    We shud get anger, wen sumthng go wrong around us....
    At tat tym controlling anger wont work...
    சரியானது எது என்று தெரிந்தபிறகும் அதைச் செய்யாமல் இருப்பதற்குப் பெயர்தான் கோழைத்தனம்.
    நியாயத்தின் பொருட்டு வெளிப்படையாக ஒருவருடன் விவாதிப்பதும் கோபப்படுவதும் சிறப்பாகும்.
    ஆனால் உன் கோபத்தை வெளிப்படுத்தும் போது உன்னால் இயன்றது என்ன என்பதை அறிந்து செயல்படு.
    மகாகவி கோபம் காட்டியது எழுத்தால்.
    ஒரு துளி பேனா மை பத்து இலட்சம் பேரைச் சிந்திக்க வைக்கிறது.
    even we can also express our anger in a rightway....:)
    ரௌத்திரம் பழகு..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a nice post :) Admirable way of thinking and putting it in words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Pranav... Good explanayion... Right anger at the right time to the right person in a right way is always effective and powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Pranav, I was looking for Mahakavi's "puthiya aathichud", thats the way I came to your blog. the explanation about "Rowthiram Pazhagu" is really nice and keep up your good works. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I searched for the word rowthiram and ended up here. Reading rest of your blog from office :D. Can you start writing your blog again

    ReplyDelete
  13. frnd what a post!suprrbbb i was searchng d word rowthiram pazhagu i end with something worth..nice

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh god every one s like me..hey special hai to team..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved it broo .. vazhga thamizh ...

    ReplyDelete